Monday, March 25, 2013

A Strong Tower



Psalm 61:1-4 Hear my cry, O God; Attend to my prayer. From the end of the earth I will cry to You, When my heart is overwhelmed; Lead me to the rock that is higher than I.  For You have been a shelter for me, A strong tower from the enemy. I will abide in Your tabernacle forever; I will trust in the shelter of Your wings. 

I was listening the one of the Christian radio stations here, as I was driving out to a job and heard this bible passage in the broadcast. Immediately, it reminds me of the Contemporary Christian band Kutless' song “Strong Tower” is based upon this same bible passage. The lyrics are
“You are my strong tower - A shelter over me - Beautiful and mighty - Everlasting King
You are my strong tower - Fortress when I'm weak - Your name is true and holy - And Your face is all I see.”

God – Father, Son and Holy Spirit – are our strong tower. And the impenetrable walls not only “keeps out” the enemy, but “keeps in” that which is “right” for safe keeping. Has it ever crossed our minds, all the evil that the Lord has sheltered us, His children, from which we never saw, because it didn't reach us. It makes me shake my head to think that we could ever believe that we were strong enough on our own to take on this world alone.

In the words of Corrie ten Boom: “If you look at the world, you'll be distressed. If you look within, you'll be depressed. If you look at God you'll be at rest.” John 10:27-30 lets us know that we are in His Almighty hands. May our focus, our hearts, our thoughts and meditations be upon our All-powerful Strong Tower and loving, Creator Father God.
 
Proverbs 18:10 The name of the Lord is a strong tower; The righteous run to it and are safe.

Peace and rest in Christ, Brian

2 comments:

child of God said...

Hi Brian,
I love those words by Corrie ten Boom. :) How true they are.

Keeping my eyes on Jesus!!

Blessings,
<><

Brian Ray Todd said...

Child of God, Corrie's simple words pack a deep message. It drives you to the unasked, but implied question, gives you the wrong and right answers, then causes you to examine and identify where you fall on the list. I'm happy that you enoyed it. Blessings. <><