Thursday, September 6, 2012

Bigger Than a Bread Box



Psalm 62:5-8Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken. My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge. Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge. 

One thing fun about owning a 1914 California Bungalow house is decorating the interior with things from “back in the day” or back in great grandma’s day. We enjoy going to antique stores and garage sales to find memories of the “good old days” to adorn the kitchen shelves. One of the favorite items of the bygone era is our enameled steel bread box. Do you remember when people used to try and guess what something was, they’d ask: “Is it bigger than a Bread Box?” That’s one of the reasons that we bought ours. How many know just how big a Bread Box is or what one looks like?

I’ve also heard the question: “How big is your God?” Not that the Creator of Heaven and the Universe has a physically size, as God is Spirit, but big or little do we make our Lord God in our material world thinking. God is omniscience - God is all-knowing, omnipresence - God is all-present/all-seeing, & omnipotence - God is all-power. Not only that, but in Matthew 10:29-31 Jesus explains to us, “Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father.  And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.” Our Heavenly Father watches over each of us.

Founding Father of America, Benjamin Franklin wrote in his Maxims & Morals: “I never doubted the existence of the Deity, that He made the world, and governed it by His Providence.” We should do likewise and know in our hearts that God is not only bigger than a Bread Box, but bigger than anything and everything that we can imagine against us. Let’s live that truth out in our lives today.

If you get a minute, read Psalm 136. You will be blessed. It ends with: “Give thanks to the God of heaven. His love endures forever.”

In Christ, Brian

3 comments:

Alice said...

I love old bottles and cans, too. We live my husband's grandfather's house and I found an old glass Bufferin bottle several years ago behind the sink. It is on display in our bathroom:)

Undergroundpewster said...

Old houses need steel breadboxes to thwart the mice.

child of God said...

His love endures forever! Praise GOD!

I love your breadbox and no I haven't seen one.

God is so big, how can we grasp even the littlest inking of Him? He is so vast, how can we see? But His word tells us in 1 Corinthians 2:16 we have the mind of Christ! “For who has known the mind of the Lord
that he may instruct him?” But we have the mind of Christ.
This blows me away and I cannot seem to wrap my thoughts around the fact that we, who are sanctified in Christ Jesus, have His mind. :)

Blessings brother, His love endures forever!
<><