Wednesday, July 18, 2012

A Cup of Joe & a Spot of Tea



Galatians 5:13-14 “For you, brethren, have been called to liberty; only do not use liberty as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”

A decade or two ago, The person at work who was running the inter-office coffee club transferred, and I was asked to pick up the managing of this small operation that provided a cheap cup of “Joe” any time of day for my co-workers. Did you know that Josephus Daniels (1862-1948) was appointed Secretary of the Navy by President Woodrow Wilson in 1913. Among his reforms of the Navy was the abolishment of the officers' wine mess. From that time on, the strongest drink aboard Navy ships could only be coffee and over the years, a cup of coffee became known as "a cup of Joe". By providing an inexpensive quality alternative to a pricey cup of “mud” from some place with a popular name, a simple joy is given that makes the daily grind a little better and brighter. Did I mention that June and December are free?

Mark 9:41 “For whoever gives you a cup of water to drink in My name, because you belong to Christ, assuredly, I say to you, he will by no means lose his reward.” Read Matthew 25:31-40
Over the years, I added a variety of teas to the “Break Room” beverage selection and it keeps growing with more blends, and herbs and flavors, caffeinated or not. Now, anyone can enjoy a nice “spot of tea” during the work day, so the environment has a measure of comfort and care … and all on an “honor system”, where the drink items are in the open and paying for them is based completely on the honor, the ethics, the morals, the integrity and the character of the employees. Sure, we have some thieves (notice the sign on the wall in the picture), but the system is there to demonstrate a godly principle that blesses or condemns the conscious and soul in community of love your neighbor and thou shall not steal. A small way to live out our faith and be a witness for Christ in action, simply because bringing joy to others is a joyful activity for the Child of God. What’s your favorite cup of Joe or spot of  tea?  Bring Christ to your world.

John 15:10-12 If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love. These things I have spoken to you so that My joy may be in you, and that your joy may be made full. This is My commandment, that you love one another, just as I have loved you.”

In Christ, Brian

6 comments:

Alice said...

I love all kinds of teas, what a nice selection:)

Brian Ray Todd said...

Ma, I got the idea for this post from your "mint tea" Blog @ http://ma-sblog.blogspot.com/. Thank you for the help sister! Blessings to you & yours.

Anonymous said...

Hi Brian,
What a wonderful ministry! Yes... even a cup of cold water (or coffee or tea in this instance) will serve others in the Name of Christ.
Hmm... my favorite cup of coffee is a mixture my hubby makes from Reg. and Decaf (Maxwell House) to which we add French Vanilla Creamer. But my favorite tea changes with the seasons or my mood. So I'd enjoy the selection you bring to your break room.
Blessings on your ministry!
Deb

Brian Ray Todd said...

Thanks for the comment Deb. It's funny how in a "What's in it for me?" culture, that such n honor system can exist, and set a simple example of holiness in Christ's name. Many say, "Why bother?", but its not about me. It's about light.

The "Midcaf" coffee is interseting and i think that your husband should market it. My favorite coffee is Cafe Britt from Costa Rica and my favorite Tea is Darjeeling. Tasty.

child of God said...

Hi Brian,

I love any kind of tea and coffee.

I love how you set up this honour system, it gives people a chance to do the right thing. :) I believe it also speaks deeply to their conscious and allows the Holy Spirit to minister to them and lead them towards looking at our Creator.

Thanks for sharing.
<><

Brian Ray Todd said...

Thanks Child of God and seeing the message behind the coffee and tea ministry. As the moon reflect the light of the sun, we are to reflect the light of the Son in this dark world. Matthew 5:16 says, "Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven." Shine on!