Thursday, March 1, 2012

Spiritual Understanding

Psalm 119:7-18 “I will praise you with an upright heart as I learn your righteous laws. I will obey your decrees; do not utterly forsake me. How can a young man keep his ways pure? By living according to your Word. I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands. I have hidden your Word in my heart that I might not sin against you. Praise be to you, O Lord; teach me your decrees. With my lips I recount all the laws that come from your mouth. I rejoice in following your statutes as one rejoices in great riches. I mediate on your precepts and consider your ways. I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your Word. Do good to your servant, and I will live; I will obey your Word. Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law.”

Vacation time means more than just rest and relaxation, more than down -time and escaping the daily grind, traveling, visiting or exploring, celebration, adventure or entertainment; it is also a time for experiencing the Lord and renewing of the mind and spirit. As I cruise down the west coast of Baja California, once again I make the time to take the time to spiritually sit at the feet of the Father in loving relationship to learn, grow and mature as a child of God. Picking back up American Pastor and theologian Jonathon Edwards great book “Religious Affections”, I read today on the gift of spiritual understanding that develops a spiritual flavor and taste in the life of the Christian itself.

Psalm 1:1-3 “Blessed is the one who does not walk in step with the wicked or stand in the way that sinners take or sit in the company of mockers, but whose delight is in the law of the Lord, and who meditates on His law day & night. That person is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither - whatever they do proposes.”

Edwards writes: To understand the Scriptures rightly is to understand what is in the Scriptures and to know its immediate intent. It is not the creation of a new meaning. When the mind is enlightened spiritually and rightly to understand the Scriptures, it is in order to see the Scriptures what was not seen before because of blindness. It is not to make a new meaning out of Scripture, as if one could make a new Scripture. To understand the Scriptures spiritually is to have the eyes of the mind open, to behold the wonderful, spiritual excellence of the glorious things contained in its meaning. This, ever since it was written, has always been contained in it. Such spiritual vision is able to see divine perfections, the excellence and sufficiency of Christ, and the way of salvation. It is able to see the spiritual glory of the precepts and the promises of the Scriptures which were always in the Bible, but were not seen before, but are now seen.

John 17:17 “Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth.”

In Christ and in the Word, Brian

2 comments:

RCUBEs said...

And may we always seek Him more to know more things of God...With the New Age around us, we have to be careful that His Word is being twisted and being conformed to man's senses. May we always live by Spirit and Truth. May God bless and protect you as you travel and your heart be overwhelmed with His awesome love wherever you go.

Brian Ray Todd said...

By His Spirit & Truth Should be the window that we view life through, and the Word of God be our Map that the Holy Spirit guides our journey along the narrow path of righteousness in prayer. And may we, who are on the narrow path, cry out to those on the wide road to destruction with the loving message of Salvation in Jesus Christ; being a light in the darkness of sin & unbelief. Thanks Sister RCUBES for you great comments.