Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Finish Strong

Luke 12:48 “Everyone to whom much was given, of him much will be required, and from him to whom they entrusted much, they will demand the more.”

On my vacation last month, I read the book by Christian Professional athlete Tim Tebow, titled “Through My Eyes”. Though football created the platform and spotlight on him, Jesus Christ is the foundation on which his life is built and he gives all the honor and glory to his Creator, Lord and Savior. Here is one portion Tim wrote that demonstrates that Christian character, ethic and attitude in his life:

“I’ve heard that scripture (Luke 12:24) since I was a young boy. There’s a spiritual aspect to that, of course, which we read about in the story of the talents in Matthew 25:14-30. The basic lesson of the parabol for me is that if God gave us specific talents (abilities), He wants us to go out there and double them. I think part of that is to go out there and continue to work – regardless of whether anyone is watching. This isn’t about when we’re out there with cameras rolling and pointed in our faces. I may say I’m playing for my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. True. But it’s not just that. It’s about being dedicated and playing hard because I honestly believe that God receives joy when He sees me doing that with the skills he blessed me with. When you, too, do that, He sees you living the life He has given you and loving and respecting the abilities He’s given you by working as hard as you possibly can to improve them. I believe God made me for a purpose. I always thought since God gave these gifts to me, my role in that exchange was to play as hard as I could and continue giving Him the honor and glory for it. To me that would be the very best way of thanking Him for the ability. If I didn’t work as hard as I could, then I think it would be a little bit like saying, “God thanks for giving me this ability, but I don’t really care about it. I’m going to do something else, and I’m not going to work quite as hard.”

1 Corinthians 9:23-26 “I do it all for the sake of the gospel, that I may share with them in its blessings. Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. So I do not run aimlessly.”

“As you can guess, my view leads to constantly evaluating my performance and the performances of those I count on. As a leader, I needed to be in front and set an example. As a Christian, I needed to lead in a manner that was pleasing to Christ. This ethic can lead to conflict if those around me do not agree. Part of leadership is understanding those we are trying to lead – what makes them tick, what will help them share the vision. To me, our Christian witness matters, and it’s what people see when they are watching us. When we think we can do less than our best, when we think others are not watching, we’re cheating ourselves and the God who created us. To me, the best example for being tough and bold and being a Christian is, of course, demonstrated by my Savior Jesus Christ. It’s important to stand behind what you believe in. My parents challenged me to win rewards in heaven and to compete for those, so God will say, “Well done, My good and faithful servant.” Whatever you do, do it with all your heart. The message to us in living life was always about simply doing the right thing, That honored God. As great as that is, how much greater it will feel when we get to heaven and Jesus opens up His arms, gives us a big hug, and says, “Atta boy. Great job. You finished. I love you.” Have an impact on this world and on the lives of others around you. How much more so in life to finish strong? For yourself. For the world. For others. For the God who created you.”

Tim Tebow

Hebrews 12:1-2 “Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.”

Finish strong. Victory in Christ,

Brian

3 comments:

Undergroundpewster said...

Let us keep praying that he not get caught by the trappings of celebrity. It sounds like he has a good foundation, but we still should pray for him.

child of God said...

Hi Brian,
Great post! This is something I tell my kids all the time. What ever you do. do it for the Glory of God and He will reward you. My kids use to compete in Taekwondo at the national level and every competition we would gather in prayer honouring God. We had a team mate that would get down on their knees on the mat and pray before and after the fight weather she won or lost. What a powerful testimony!

Blessings,
<><

Brian Ray Todd said...

UG PEWSTER, I agree that we need to pray for Mr. Tim Tebow because of the tempttations that come with fame & fortune as they (the Devil, the secular world-system and the sinful flesh desires) plague individuals in his position with his God-given abilities and gifts. Because of his faith, he is surely under the micro-scope and attacked. We also need to pray that the temptations that we face daily at our level too. May God's will be done on Earth as it is in heaven. Thanks for the great comment.

Child of God, When Peter tried to walk on water, he started to sink when he took His eyes off Jesus. What he experienced physically, happens to all of us spiritually whenever we take our eyes off the Lord and not "walk in the Spirit". I like that motto: "Whatever you do, do it for the glory of God". Now, each of us need to live by that motto daily. What a blessing! thanks for writing.