Saturday, February 18, 2012

Elements of Prayer

Luke 11:1-2 Once Jesus was in a certain place praying. As he finished, one of his disciples came to him and said, “Lord, teach us to pray, just as John taught his disciples.” Jesus said, “This is how you should pray: …”

As our Small Group dove into the study of Prayer, we established in our understanding that prayer is a conversation with our heavenly Father, where we can be open and honest about our concerns and entrust them to God. We have to wonder if our prayers are everything that they could be or are we somehow missing out on some elements of our prayer life that the Lord would like to hear and would produce better spiritual fulfillment. Who hasn’t been intimidated by the prayer life of someone else, who seems to know just the perfect words to say? Could you imagine how the disciples might have felt after hearing Jesus pray? I think that we all would ask: “Lord, teach us to pray”. We praise God that He looks at our heart and not our words, knowing that “the desire to pray” is the most important element of prayer and the prayers of all God’s children are heard. But to improve our prayer life, it is helpful to see and know the elements of prayer taught by Jesus; to pray a prayer that pleases God and is a blessing to us … and others that we pray for.

Matthew 6:5-8 And when you pray, you shall not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly. And when you pray, do not use vain repetitions as the heathen do. For they think that they will be heard for their many words. “Therefore do not be like them. For your Father knows the things you have need of before you ask Him.

It is important to realize that since our Father in heaven “knows the things you have need of before you ask Him”, that our prayers are for our sake because we need to be in personal relationship with active and lively conversation with God. Not some memorized sentences recited in vain repetition without thinking, but expressing our personal concerns and celebrations in every element that Jesus instructed in the Lord’s “model” Prayer. (1) Adoration/Worship, Love & Praise, (2) Declaration of Allegiance in Submission / Intercession, (3) Petition / Supplication / Intercession for our daily needs, (4) Confession / Expiation in Repentance of inequities, (5) for Deliverance / Protection (6) Meditation waiting on the Lord, and (7) Celebration / Rejoicing / Thanksgiving.

Psalm 91:1-2 He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High Will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say to the LORD, “My refuge and my fortress, My God, in whom I trust!”

We respond in worship and prayer to the grace and mercy of God. Our prayers are not based upon emotion but on truth; not on the fervency of our words but on the faithfulness of God. Prayer is powerful. Prayer changes things. In Christ, Brian

Brian Todd
http://www.briantoddblog.com/

2 comments:

child of God said...

Hi Brian,
What a great post topic!

I am often conscientious about how I pray. I do not have an elegant speech and often can be all over the place when I pray. One kind pastor told me that my type of praying was fine because it was Spirit led. Let's say that I hold on to that as it encourages me, but when I get in a group of prayer warriors I can become intimated and often do not want to pray aloud. I am so very thankful that God looks at my heart and the Holy Spirit will intervene for me and make my prayers line up with God's will. :)

I love this... We respond in worship and prayer to the grace and mercy of God. Our prayers are not based upon emotion but on truth; not on the fervency of our words but on the faithfulness of God.

I had a real neat 'light bulb' moment. I was praying and fasting for a little baby that was going to have scans to see if the cancer was gone. It was 2 weeks into the fast and I was very weak, tired and just didn't have much to give in the way of prayer. I was praying and all I could say was, "Oh Father, please touch this boy". God came in and told me, "You finally get it. It is not your prayers that change anything it is ME." When I was at the end of self, tired and weak, I finally saw that it isn't what I say at all. I could probably have said nothing, only thought it and God would answer.

Prayer is very powerful and our God listens to our petitions.

Blessings,
<><

Brian Ray Todd said...

What a great point Child of God! I had the exact same experience praying before, when I came to the end of myself self-abilities and God then answered. I had to see that it wasn't me and my efforts that make change, but the Lord. then He could work with and through me. When we come to the end, God begins. We are to pray (the best that we can) from the heart and put our faith into action with godly obedience to His holy Word, living godly lives and reaching out to a lost and dying world. But we need to remember the source where, and from who, our provision originates. "For Thine is kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.