Saturday, February 4, 2012

Drawing Near in Prayer









Always looking to improve, grow and mature our Christian walk, our small group Bible Study started studying prayer. A year or two ago, I wrote a post titled “The Garden of Prayer”, where I admitted that I did pray as much as I should, and that I don’t pray every time that I need to. Our study asked, Is our prayer life is all it should be? If we worry that we don’t truly understand what prayer really is? I think that everyone believes that they could always improve on their prayer life. We know prayer has to do with communicating with God, but what exactly does that look like? A.W. Tozer wrote, “What the praying person does is to bring our will into line with the will of God, so God can do what He has all along been willing to do.” It is helpful to have a clear definition and understanding of Christian words that we are using, such as “righteous” means “ruled by what is just”. God is just & holy.


1 Kings 8:27-28 & 39 “But will God indeed dwell on the earth? Behold, heaven and the highest heaven cannot contain You, how much less this house which I have built! Yet have regard to the prayer of Your servant and to his supplication, O LORD my God, to listen to the cry and to the prayer which Your servant prays before You today; then hear in heaven Your dwelling place, and forgive and act and render to each according to all his ways, whose heart You know, for You alone know the hearts of all the sons of men.”



Supplication refers to a request for favor or grace. It is defined as a humble & earnest entreaty or petition. This begins in putting, not just our faith, but our total trust in the Providential provision for our life. When encountering stressful situations, rather than giving in to our fear or focusing on our circumstances, we can call out to God and trust in Him. The result is peace in the midst of difficulty. Prayer is as natural as crying out. Crying out and telling God what is on our heart. Prayer is simply drawing near to God and talking with Him. We have access to Him through our high priest, Jesus Christ. We can rest because we know the Lord sustains us. Draw near to Him and enjoy His presence.



Psalm 5:1-3 “Give ear to my words, O LORD, Consider my groaning.
Heed the sound of my cry for help, my King and my God, For to You I pray. In the morning, O LORD, You will hear my voice; In the morning I will order my prayer to You and eagerly watch.”

In Christ, Brian


4 comments:

Larri said...

Thanks for the excellent post, Brian! There are times I struggle with prayer. It's very difficult for me to quiet my mind long enough for my heart to have a chat with God...but when my mind does finally quiet, oh, what an amazing moment I have with Him.

Happy Sunday!

Brian Ray Todd said...

You are not alone, by a long shot, Larri. The distractions, responsibilities and desires of life seems to tempt and draw our heart and mind's attention constantly, to where quieting the mind for devotion fellowship with the Lord (aka - drawing near) is a concentrated effort. But, this is where we were designed to be and find the fruit of our faith that we truly long for in our Creator, Provider and Savior. Amazing moments need to be our goal. Thanks for the honest comment.

Alice said...

I also think prayer is a very personal thing. I believe that God deals with each of us individually and will honor any honest and heartfelt communication, even done so imperfectly.

We can go boldly to the throne of Grace! But how often do we just try to do it ourselves? I know I often try to "handle" things myself first and am shown that HE only can do it.

Brian Ray Todd said...

I couldn't agree with you more. We have a personal relationship with our Lord & Savior Jesus Christ, and His atoning sacrifice in our place to pay for our sins re-established our direct access to our Heavenly Father to draw near personally with honest & heartfelt communication in prayer face to face (boldly to the throne) with our loving Maker. God meets us where we are at. We do not need fancy and eliquent words in perfectly constructed sentences. The bible tells us in Hebrews 10:24-25(NKJV)"Let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching. We prayer together too, but the church is for building up & equipping the saints, corporate worship, fellowship and united efforts for the body of Christ and out to the world in Christ's name. We depend on the Providence of God and the working of the Holy Spirit of our life through our personal relationship with God (Father, Son & Holy spirit). rejoice & Pray your heart out! He listens and hears! Thanks Ma for the excelent comment.