Sunday, May 29, 2011

Balance Between Idleness and Busyness

Psalm 39:5-7 You have made my life no longer than the width of my hand. My entire lifetime is just a moment to you; at best, each of us is but a breath.” We are merely moving shadows, and all our busy rushing ends in nothing. We heap up wealth, not knowing who will spend it. And so, Lord, where do I put my hope? My only hope is in you.



The 1602 proverb from W. Perkins 'Works' states “The Devil finds work for idle hands to do” or also stated “The idle body and the idle brain is the shop [workshop] of the devil.” I totally agree, but, I wonder about “busyness” also. Over the last few months, I have taken on, obviously, more than I can handle in activities and obligations. Another cliché is that I had “too many balls in the air” that I was trying to juggle … and I “dropped the ball”, so to speak, in either getting all accomplished or getting what I did accomplish done to the best of my capability in a quality manner. Not only that, but busyness in our long list of “Things To Do Today” can lead to distractions (moving shadows) from the true beneficial priorities in life and being where the Lord desires and designed us to be and living. When we’re out of balance and doing too much, things will be missed or outright neglected, because something has got to give. I saw the situation with myself and now cleared that tunnel that I was in.




Many times, someone is hurt and a relationship is damaged in the process; sometimes it is our relationship with the Lord, who loves us. This world throws many demands upon us and our time (even in volunteering), which pulls on our precious hours, our attention, and affects our own joy & peace, if it is not checked and in balance. Not to mention, it's tiring; mentally, physically and spiritually. We need to be neither idle nor over-extended, but find that “happy” medium of proper priorities matched with quality performance. And most of all, praise the Lord; the Giver of life and life eternal! Keep your hearts and minds upon Jesus.


Revelation 19:5-7 Then a voice came from the throne, saying: “Praise our God, all you his servants, you who fear him, both great and small!” Then I heard what sounded like a great multitude, like the roar of rushing waters and like loud peals of thunder, shouting: “Hallelujah! For our Lord God Almighty reigns. Let us rejoice and be glad and give him glory! For the wedding of the Lamb has come, and his bride has made herself ready.


In Christ, Brian

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Moderation in almost everything we do in life seems to be the key. I've found this to be true in my life especially when it comes to food.

God bless you Brian and have a great Memorial Day

~Ron

Alice said...

Good thoughts. I too have had trouble with finding that "happy medium".

child of God said...

Hi Brian,
Thank you for your kind words to me. It feels good, thanks!

My hubby takes on too many things, as his mom says he has too many pots on the stove and if you are not careful something will burn, which it has many times and sadly it is usually the family pot that smolders. :s

Jesus first! You are so right. When we put Him first everything falls into place and feels good.

I hope you are able to have a bit of a rest.

Blessings,
<><