Saturday, April 9, 2011

Aunt Patsy Lou

This past week, I received a call from my cousin that my mother’s sister, Aunt Pat, had passed away suddenly on Wednesday. I had heard that we only have a few truly close people in our lives that we connect on the deepest level and relate to with trust, open and honest fellowship in the confidential and relaxed sharing and interchange of ideas, opinions, dreams & thoughts, safe and without reservations. In the years following the passing of my mother, I had developed this relationship with my Aunt Pat and realized the excellence of her natural loving quality of family and practical knowledge from years of experience in this world’s school of “hard knocks” combined to produce and shape a fine gem. The word “eulogy” is defined as “an oration in high praise of a person; to extol”. Let me tell you a little about my priceless Aunt. She was quite a character with a heart to match and exceed ... a one-in-a-million. There has been much said these days about both the attack on the family and the lack of family love, interaction & influence in our society, but it was God that made the family to care & support, love & fellowship, teach priorities, values & virtues in community. Character, loyalty, honor, respect, hospitality, courtesy, kindness, integrity, manners, charity, duty, faith, industry, dedication and devotion, which are not old school notions that passed away decades ago and forgotten. They are the fabric of society found in family and community as the Lord designed us to live. It’s not hard to see that it is these qualities that are lacking or perverted today that have a cultural in chaos. Self-life has produced a society that is blind to these balanced and healthy values and virtues, but some have eyes that see the truth and a heart filled with love, not of self, but of family and community. Aunt Pat was there, but with a unique “rough-on-the-edges” hilarious personality. She always said that we can laugh or cry at life’s situations. So her talks and stories would have everyone smiling at her humor. There had been many hard times in her child and adult life that she fought through with steadfast courage and determination, and conquered. Even in the last years, battling cancer and health issues in her late seventies, her outlook was that “life was worth living with joy”. Aunt Pat was experienced, knowledgeable, loving and strong because of her trying years. And she passed her wisdom on, to those who had ears to hear, in funny tales. Not ignoring the serious, but exposing with light and a light heart bathed in good old fashioned family values. I was blessed to have the Lord give me such a character in one of the closest people in my life … my Aunt Patsy Lou. We would, seemingly, talk for hours on the phone. I learned from her, love in demonstration, what family should look like. I knew her love. Rest in peace, I shall see you again soon on streets paved in gold, my priceless Aunt. Don’t take for granted the loved ones in your life. Talk to them, make and spend time together enjoy their company. Enjoy every moment, creating cherished lifetime memories, founded and finished in pure love. Don't forget to tell your family that you love them either. One day they will go to be with the Lord. And I hope that you will be able to say that your life was blessed by them becasue you didn't miss the opportunity. God made family; love & enjoy them. In Christ, Brian

9 comments:

Gregg Metcalf said...

Brian, I am sorry for your loss. I am praying for you and the family. I don't think I have a relative like that.What blessing you did! Heaven will be a little sweeter for you one day.


Gregg Metcalf
Colossians 1:28-29

Gospel-driven Disciples

child of God said...

Hi Brian,
I am so sorry for the loss of your dear Aunt; an aunt/mom. I will be holding you up in prayer for our Lord to ease your heart and the emptiness you feel.
What a wonderful relationship you were able to forge with your mom's sister, this is very precious and I praise God that He provided you with such wealth. A wealth that I am sure you will be passing on to your family.

My parents have both passed away and my brother and sisters have just pulled in closer to each other in order to support our needs. Family is great and I believe a Christian family in the body of Christ is very precious as well.

Praying for you and hoping that you will be able to celebrate her entry into the presence of our Lord.

Blessings,
<><

Brian Ray Todd said...

Thank you Pastor Gregg & Karen. Your prayers are cherished. I am truly blessed.

Jason Jahn said...

Wow. What a wonderful woman. Thank you for sharing her story with us. Jennifer and I are praying for you and your family during this time.

Anonymous said...

Brian, I'm sorry to hear about your Aunt Patsy Lou. It sounds like you had one of those rare relationships that few of us find during our life. Thanks for sharing your memories with us :-)

Nancy Wheeler Moore said...

Brian, What a beautiful story you have written about my cousin Patsy Lou.and the importance of family relationships.
She was one of the three cherished granddaughters of my grandmother, Olpha Foutch Bowen. I have many memories of her in my childhood. May she rest in peace. Please convey my thoughts to the rest of the family. I am so sorry that health reasons keep me from attending the memorial service. With love for you all, Nancy Wheeler Moore

RCUBEs said...

Thank you for sharing your precious aunt with us bro. Brian. May God's strength and comfort cover you all. May her loving memories bring joy into your hearts. God bless.

Larri said...

My sincerest sympathy for the loss of your precious Aunt Patsy Lou, Brian. What a gift she was to you and your family! May her memory be eternal.

Lifting you and your family in prayer as you remember your Aunt. May you praise His name for giving you someone special to share this life.

Brian Ray Todd said...

(1) Thank you Pastor Jason for your support and constant care. (2)Brother in Christ Geezeer Ron, your words here and on your Blog focus us on what is important and I thank you. (3) Nancy, I was priviledged to tell of the family relationship that I experienced through who Pat was in herself. (4) Rosel, I am weak, but the Lord is strong and comforts me in times of loss. I realized what I had in Aunt Pat and the memories are worth more than gold. I have them and carry them whereever I go. (5) Larri, I think that you are "on point" with your comment "praise His name for giving you someone special to share this life". I was blessed to have the time that I did and cherished that time. To love and be loved, by the Lord who provides and a priceless Aunt that He provided.

Thank you everyone for your prayers.