Saturday, March 12, 2011

Relational Prayer

Psalm 5:1-3 Give ear to my words, O LORD, Consider my meditation. Give heed to the voice of my cry, My King and my God, For to You I will pray. My voice You shall hear in the morning, O LORD; In the morning I will direct it to You, And I will look up.

Building on the broken and disconnected relationship between God and mankind created by Sin that was restored by our Savior and Lord Jesus Christ in his atoning sacrifice on the cross as a free gift by God’s grace for the Believer, an inter-personal, intimate, parent-child and spiritual relationship based in righteousness is established. Though Jesus’ redeeming blood, our spirit is regenerated, we are given a new and transformed heart bent towards God and the indwelling Holy Spirit inside; we are adopted as a child of God, given eternal life as a citizen of the kingdom of heaven, and direct access to speak to our heavenly Father. Christianity is not a religion, but a complete relationship with God.

Romans 10:10-13 For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved. As Scripture says, “Anyone who believes in him will never be put to shame.” For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

I read this definition: An intimate relationship is a particularly close interpersonal relationship, which include an enduring behavioral interdependence, repeated interactions, emotional attachment and need fulfillment. God, who is merciful and just, met our greatest needs for forgiveness of sins and salvation by sending His Son to save all who accept the gospel truth. We are unworthy, but Jesus is worthy by His sinless life, so we have a right relationship with God through Christ, so “in Jesus’ name” we pray. Any and all good relationships require loving, honest and open communication to grow, mature and stay healthy. Prayer is talking to God in pure relationship, heart to heart. There is no power in the act of prayer; only in the One (Almighty God) we pray to, and prayer changes things.

Philippians 4:4-7 Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice! Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

What a privilege it is come into the presence of God, Creator of the universe, and talk with Him, our Father in Heaven, any time (24/7/365). Will we not make it our daily custom to devote time to pray to Him, Abba? He loved and saved us for this relationship.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.

Blessings in Christ, Brian

5 comments:

Alice said...

Amen, what a privilege (and too often neglected privilege)we have as children of God.

child of God said...

Hi Brian,

What a beautiful devotional to read this morning! Christianity is not a religion but a relationship. God did fulfill our deepest need, the need to be forgiven and saved. How perfect is that?

A while a go I was asking God, "what can I do for You Lord?" You see I homeschool my kids and I really don't have a lot of contact with people as we live far from town and neighbours. God filled this need to serve Him by giving me people to pray for. It started out with a few and now I pray for so many people and each and every time I am overwhelmed with His love for them and I feel so blessed that God would allow us to talk to Him so freely, 24/7 with all kinds of needs or just to be with Him. Everytime I pray for someone, He blesses me because I know He is listening and really caring about these needs. We serve an amazing God. A God who is so full of love and I believe we only are seeing the very tip of it.

God Bless,
<><

Anonymous said...

Amen! Our relationship with God must be the top priority in every believers life. All our others relationships will flow from a right relationship with Him.

Take care Brian and have a great week :-)

~Ron
*******

Larri said...

AMEN! Your post is in direct relation to the sermon I heard today. He wants a relationship with us. We must set aside time to spend with Him. We must listen quietly and EXPECT to hear Him speaking. And we must FULLY SURRENDER if we are to have a relationship with Him.

Thanks for sharing a great post! I'm bookmarking it for future reference. Happy Sunday!

Brian Ray Todd said...

The general statement "the joy of my salvation" is just packed with the details of what those blessings of joy include, as in this post retored Father-child relationship, direct access to God the Father in prayer. I feel the joy in your comments and praise the Lord are that joy. Studying and teaching the foundational truths of Christianity gives me the opportunity to rejoice in them. Thank you all! Joy in Christ!