Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Prayer Audit

Psalm 54:2 Hear my prayer, O God; Give ear to the words of my mouth.

We all could be better at our prayer life. This is one of the areas that immediately comes to mind when I think of areas of my personal Christian life that I would like to improve in. Our little church here in Anaheim, California is going through a Sunday worship series titled “Pray like Jesus” this month, along with 24 hour prayer events (1 hour increments), special Friday evening prayer service, and white rubber wrist-bands with the church name embossed to remind us to pray every time we looked at it during the day. The focus is on maturing and improving this aspect of our spiritual life in this demanding physical world … keeping our eyes on Jesus.

Philippians 4:5-7 Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Pastor asked a series of questions for us to step back and take an audit of our prayers. I am listing a few of those questions for your prayerful consideration.

1. Do you pray to receive from God or to receive God?
2. Do you pray to bring God to action or for God to bring you to action?
3. Do you pray to get rid of pain and trials or to get through them?
4. Do you courageously punctuate yours prayers with “Your will be done”?
5. Do you pray to both hear and accept God’s will for your life?
6. Do you accept that God will answer your prayers with either “yes”, “no, I have something better for you” or “later”?

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

February blessings to you.
In Christ, Brian

5 comments:

Gregg Metcalf said...

I give each year a theme, last year's theme was holiness. This year, 2011's theme is prayer. I am trying to learn all I can and develop my prayer life. The best tool I have found thus far, other than the prayers of Paul is Matthew Henry's A Method of Prayer.

Brian Ray Todd said...

Thanks for the "heads up" on the Matthew Henry book on prayer. I use my Matthew Henry Bible Commentary all the time and love it. I appreciate the suggestion to help my prayer life and will take it.

Alice said...

I am trying to spend more time in prayer this year. Thanks for the audit questions, they are very helpful.

Karen said...

I loved this post. I also am feeling the need to spend more time in prayer, just to know the Lord better, and also to intercede for all those who are suffering from catastrophes around the world. Blessings to you.

child of God said...

Hi Brian,
I am really focusing on a 24/7 prayer life where I turn my life into a conversation with God. Listen and talk. I have to keep reminding myself that He is listening therefore I should include Him in my thoughts, actions and so on.

Wonderful list of questions.

Blessings,
<><