Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Kept By The Shepherd

Jude 1:1b-2 “To those who have been called, who are loved in God the Father and kept for Jesus Christ: Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance.”

The week’s Bible Study was that single chapter book of Jude, but the message of these mere 25 verses seemed deeper in spiritual truth, and packed with life application in godly discernment. From the beginning verses, we are reassured of God’s calling, of God’s love, and God’s keeping of His children. He who holds the whole universe together will see that God’s children are kept in the faith and that they reach their eternal inheritance. It is not us, but our Lord that keeps us.

John 10:14-16 & 27-28 “I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me— just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep. I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd. My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand.”

The late Pastor and teacher, Dr. J. Vernon McGee explains that, metaphorically like sheep, we cannot run to escape from or defend ourselves by our own abilities against the enemy. Like sheep, which are helpless but safe because they are kept by the good shepherd’s work, we too are helpless but safe because of the work of our good shepherd, Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Not by what we do, but by what He does for us. He takes care of those who belong to Him, know His voice and follow.

Psalm 23:1-4 “The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness For His name’s sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.”

The Lord Jesus is our blessed assurance in days of apostasy and godlessness. His love, mercy and grace is for your and my peace and joy. We are kept in His marvelous power and might.

Kept by the Shepherd, Brian

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen Brother Brian! The Lord Jesus is our blessed assurance!

I've been listening to Dr. McGee for over 30 years now. It's amazing how his books and radio ministry are still touching so many lives.

~Ron

Toyin O. said...

Amen, Praise God that we have a good shepard watching over us.

Gregg Metcalf said...

Excellent post brother, great reminder that we are but sheep meaning he is the shepherd!

Brian Ray Todd said...

Thanks for the great comments, and how simple the peace flows when we realize that we are safe in the Lord's hand, constant care and love is always there, and we are led on paths of righteousness to green pastures and still waters in this life with blessed assurance of our destiny in the paradise of heaven in the next. Life's a journey, a pilgrimage walk to the promised land with our good Shepherd over His flock. Come what may, we can stand on and trust in the Truth, keeping our heart's eye focus on our Lord & Savior, knowing our today and our tomorrow are bright and secure as we follow Jesus.

child of God said...

So true! Why should we fret when we belong to Him? He loves us and will take care of us.

In Him,
<><