Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Don't Say the "B" Word

Psalm 16:11You will show me the path of life; In Your presence is fullness of joy; At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore.”

I remember years ago, spending time with my goddaughter and seeing first hand the affects of busyness on children in our society. Busyness that I didn’t see in my two sons, but there were a couple parents that we knew that had their kids running from one event or sport to the next. They were the exception though. I grew up playing outdoors in the yard with friends or at their houses and on my dad’s Little League baseball team, and our boys did pretty much the same, learning to be contented with where they were and what they were doing ... finding joy with what they had. If there was nothing to do, then find something, because, truly, there are plenty of great things to do, if you look. Busy does not mean physically active and something relaxing with a good book or The Good Book is the best things. The kids have been so conditioned that they need to be constantly active and engaged with some exciting interaction, that when the time comes where the activities stop, boredom set in. My goddaughter would not get the words out, “I’m Bor...”, before I say, “Don’t say the “B” word. We need to teach our kids contentment and be an example for them ... walking the talk and showing them the joy stepping out of the fast-paced life of entertainment and enjoy some peace, value times of quiet solitude, and precious moments with their Lord.

I started reading again a book on Blaise Pascal’s Pensees titled “Mind on Fire”. In the chapter “Man’s Boredom”, he writes “A definition of man is of a being of dependence, longing for independence, and having needs. Man finds nothing so intolerable as to be in a state of absolute rest, without exercising any passions, being unemployed, having no diversion, and living without any effort. It is then that he thinks he faces emptiness, loneliness, a sense of inadequacy, feeling dependent, helpless, and living a meaningless life. Then there wells up from the depths of his being a sense of boredom, pessimism, depression frustration, resentment, and despair. The philosophers say: Go back into yourselves; there you will find the good life; for it is there that you will find peace.” This is just not true. Others will say: “Go out of yourselves; look for happiness in some distraction.” And that also is not true. Happiness is neither outside nor inside us. It is in God, both outside and inside us. For the right way is to know what God wills. Christ alone leads us to it, “The Way, the Truth” (John 14:6).” Blaise died in 1662, yet the “B” word was a problem, then as it is now. And the answer is also the same today as it was in his time.

Galatians 2:20I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.”

In Christ, Brian

4 comments:

INSIDE THE SHRINK said...

Brian, I think boredom (oops I said it) is a pandemic among people, especially young people today. The kids of this generation have been entertained from the time of their birth. They have been stunted in their ability to use their own creativity. How will these kids know how to "Be still and know that I am God?" Parents have lost sight of what the purpose of parenting is. They have come to believe that their role is to make their children happy and to be their friend. How far from the true purpose of a parent that is. It is a parents role to guide and discipline children to grow up and become well adjusted, healthy, productive adults.

In my opinion, only a boring person is bored.

RCUBEs said...

I'm truly amazed in this generation's way of making themselves entertained. It's always about "what I want", "me!me!"...How many times do we see a lot of families so obsessed with sports nowadays that even tots are already being taught how to play "football?" I think boredom comes from not knowing the true purpose of life. When we know God and His plan for our lives, we will have that contentment that you mentioned and there are lots to do, not for us, but for His glory! Blessings.

Gregg Metcalf said...

Great post and a great quote. It is terrible that our younger generation is always Bored! Honestly, it is a result of progress. Not all progress is good. We have developed so mnay things that give us more time and does more for us that we have to think less, be less creative, etc. What a shame! Some times the good old days, really are the good old days.

Remember sitting on the porch cranking ice cream? Now a good jumps in his or her Honda, Lexus, or Camry drives to the store buys ice cream in a thousand exotic flavors.

I can remember sitting on the porch, with no fear of a drive by, family all sitting around, fire flys lighting up the yard, and watching the world while we made home made ice cream and didn't think about what was on TV, what was that?

Brian Ray Todd said...

Excellent points, and coming from three professionals that counsel people regularly, studying and hearing the serious problems that face individual and their psychological outlook on life and faith, proves that their is truly a problem to be addressed and ministered in our society and culture. Not just identified and discussed, but a planned response for action to correct. And that includes knowing God & making Him known through the Savior and Redeemer that changes hearts. I thank you brothers and sisters in Christ for your care, vision, efforts and awesome work for the kingdom of heaven, for it is all done in Jesus' holy name.