Sunday, February 14, 2010

The Fruit of the Spirit - Part One

Galatians 5:16-18 & 22-25 "So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under law. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit."

It makes so much sense that we naturally have a sinful nature handed down to each of us through original sin; carnal desires of our flesh that are contrary and in conflict with the Holy Spirit that indwells within the heart of each Christian. Now that we’ve defined the acts, the works and the results of this sinful nature, let us look at the fruit of the life that is led by the Spirit, lives by the Spirit and walks in and aligned with the Spirit. This is a life not under the law and wrath of God, but free from the bondage of sin and filled with the happiness that each and every heart truly desires.

Love – passionate attraction, unchanging devotion and ardent affection by our living and loving God, in personal relationship. 1John 4:7-9 & 19Dear friends, let us continue to love one another, for love comes from God. Anyone who loves is a child of God and knows God. But anyone who does not love does not know God, for God is love. God showed how much he loved us by sending his one and only Son into the world so that we might have eternal life through him. We love because he first loved us.” The Love of God.

Joy – the deep and spiritual experience of gladness, happiness, rejoicing, pleasure and delight by gratification of the redemption, salvation and security of God through faith in Jesus Christ. Psalm 16:8-11I have set the LORD always before me. Because he is at my right hand, I will not be shaken. Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices; my body also will rest secure, because you will not abandon me to the grave, nor will you let your Holy One see decay. You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand.” Habakkuk 3:18I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation.” The Joy of the Lord.

Peace – The state of tranquility; exemption from private quarrels or from war; freedom from fears and worries; a calm and quiet spirit despite the present moment or permanent situation or circumstances, knowing that Almighty God is always and forever in control. Psalm 29:11The LORD will give strength to His people; The LORD will bless His people with peace.Isaiah 26:3You will guard him and keep him in perfect and constant peace whose mind [both its inclination and its character] is stayed on You, because he commits himself to You, leans on You, and hopes confidently in You.” John 14:27Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.” The Peace of God.

Patience – Forbearance and Long-suffering from a godly prospective that produces endurance without anger, complaint, or reproach. Luke 8:14-17Now the seed (The Word of God) that fell among thorns are those who, when they have heard, go out and are choked with cares, riches, and pleasures of life, and bring no fruit to maturity. But the ones that fell on the good ground are those who, having heard the word with a noble and good heart, keep it and bear fruit with patience.James 1:2-4My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing”. God never promises that there with be no storms (trials & tribulations) in life, but promises to be with us through the storms and that we will learn to be stronger, wiser and more patient from them. The God of Patience

Kindness – the essential character, manner & nature of sympathetic, friendly, gentle, tender-hearted, generous, loving affection and benevolent actions habitually manifesting this disposition. Nehemiah 9:17You are God, Ready to pardon, Gracious and merciful, Slow to anger, Abundant in kindness, and did not forsake them.” Psalm 117:1-2 “O praise the Lord, all you nations! Praise Him, all you people! For His mercy and loving-kindness are great toward us, and the truth and faithfulness of the Lord endure forever. Praise the Lord!” Colossians 3:11-14Christ is all and in all. Therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, put on tender mercies, kindness, humility, meekness, longsuffering; bearing with one another, and forgiving one another, if anyone has a complaint against another; even as Christ forgave you, so you also must do. But above all these things put on love, which is the bond of perfection.” The God of Kindness.

Goodness – the state or quality of being good, this virtue gets its original euphemism from the word ‘God’, so essentially means godliness: being godly. Psalm 16:1-2 Preserve me, O God, for in You I put my trust. O my soul, you have said to the LORD, “You are my Lord, My goodness is nothing apart from You.Psalm 23:5-6You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; My cup runs over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me All the days of my life; And I will dwell in the house of the LORD Forever.” Psalm 23:5-6Oh, that men would give thanks to the LORD for His goodness, And for His wonderful works to the children of men! For He satisfies the longing soul, And fills the hungry soul with goodness.Romans 11:22-23Therefore consider the goodness and severity of God: on those who fell, severity; but toward you, goodness] if you continue in His goodness. Otherwise you also will be cut off. And they also, if they do not continue in unbelief, will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again.” The Goodness of God.

Like the post for the acts of the "sinful nature", the list of the fruit of the Spirit is going to take another day to properly define and back up scripturally. I'll end here and pick up from this point on my next post. I pray that this blesses you as much as it is blessing me to reseach, pray over and write ... for it is for the glory of God, in the name of Jesus.

Romans 12:2Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. Do not partake of the sinful and forsake the Lord; be holy, happy and fruitful, living and walking in the Spirit.”

In Christ, Brian

No comments: