Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Not Of This World

John17:11-18 Jesus prayed, “I will remain in the world no longer, but they (Believers)are still in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name--the name you gave me--so that they may be one as we are one. While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by that name you gave me. None has been lost except the one doomed to destruction so that Scripture would be fulfilled. "I am coming to you now, but I say these things while I am still in the world, so that they may have the full measure of my joy within them. I have given them your word and the world has hated them, for they are not of the world any more than I am of the world. My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one. They are not of the world, even as I am not of it. Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth. As you sent me into the world, I have sent them into the world.”

Many years ago, after starting to attend church in Fresno, California, the Holy Spirit opened my mind and heart to the loving and living Gospel. Accepting the Lamb of God as my Lord and Savior, I began hearing the truth of being saved by grace through faith, not works, the sovereignty of God, and the severity of the consequences of sin, if not forgiven. I, like most, did not understand that being a Christian meant being set apart from this lawless world by God for God’s purposes in righteousness for fullness of life. Not having a church up-bringing or knowledge of the Bible’s Holy Scriptures, the Lord started teaching and molding this “born again” mind, body and soul. What I was blind to in the pursuit of happiness was becoming clear in the light of Christ. To live the “good” life was not tied to materialism, position, wealth, pleasure, or power, but to a loving relationship with the Creator of Heaven & Earth – Father God, and my Redeemer – Jesus Christ, God the Son. I was in the world, but not of the world. I was a Child of God with citizenship in the Kingdom of Heaven; an Ambassador for Christ to this lost & dying world, but NOT OF THIS WORLD. Kingdom workers love and serve the Lord, and their neighbors in this world, as the desire of our heart is to please God. My great Christian Mentor Bill used to say that he walked out the door each day and everywhere he looked he saw ministry ... people who needed help and needed to hear about salvation and life in Christ. So many neighbors seeking happiness in all the wrong places, with a godless world system that encouraged the walk on “wrong” path as sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and drugs; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; wild parties, drunkenness, orgies, and the like - Galatians 5:19-21. When all the time is was faith in the one true God of the Bible and the finished work on the Cross by our Lord and Savior that fulfills our hearts desire that produces the good fruit (Galatians 5:22-23) that is defined as true happiness.

The Logo “NOTW” is from the store “C28”. C28 is a Christian retail store, offering an alternative to the mainstream mall stores. The Christian clothing, music, jewelry and accessories reflect a clean and positive Christian lifestyle. C28 stands for Colossians 2:8, Not Of This World (NOTW), and all about Jesus! A great store. Check them out.

Colossians 2:8 “See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ.”

In Christ, Brian

No comments: