Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Cancer Awareness Month

Proverbs 18:14 "A man's spirit sustains him in sickness, but a crushed spirit who can bear?"

Last December, I lost my wonderful cousin Laura to cancer. In the short time that I was blessed to correspond and talk with her, she taught me about cancer awareness, compassion, faith and ministry to truly touch lives and leave a legacy of love. Being cancer awareness month, and to honor my priceless cousin, I decided write you about another very close people in my life, who developed and succumbed to cancer, but not before helping to shape my life and grow closer to God.

At church, I progressed as a Bible Study teacher and Student through my Mentor Bill Stiles, who was my dad's age. My wife, Patty, actually was an Adult Bible Study teacher before me. Once I discovered the Word of God, a thirst for spiritual knowledge and to teach the truth drove my life. The Lord removed my blinders from my eyes, and the Bible now made so much sense to me and I was growing quickly. Bill was the Senior Bible Study teacher and discipled us with in depth study. I love "in depth" study! He was so demanding of our dedication, but Bill was light-years ahead of us in Bible Knowledge and Spiritual wisdom, that our spiritual adolescence frustrated him some. But he truly loved us and enjoyed teaching the Word of God. I learned so much from him. Eventually, Bill and I taught on alternating Tuesday nights and we attended each others classes for literally years. It was a wonderful group of church friends that wanted to learn about the Bible and mature their walk. also in the class was a friend, Tim Chambers.

One Tuesday night, Bill gathered the Bible Study group together in the church kitchen, after the class and broke the news that he had been diagnosed with Esophagus cancer and would start Chemo-therapy, so would have to step down as Bible Study teacher to concentrate on fighting the disease that threatened his life. He said that it didn't look promising for him due to this particular type of cancer. We all prayed together, but I was in shock. We didn't see Bill for almost six months. He was an extremely over-weight, but the radiation treatments had reduced him to a slender man. One day, He returned to run the church office computer system for the Pastor. We talked for a little time and as I was saying good-bye, he said "Brian, God bless you". It was the last time that I saw him. Bill was such a godly man with a servant's heart. With him I came to know and understand "blessed assurance". I miss him dearly and can't wait to see him in Heaven someday. He is there and Victory is his. His son-in-law told me that on Bill's last day, it was as if Angels surrounded his bed. A true "Child of God" went home. What a great man, that blessed me and helped me see truth in Christ and life.

Through this godly man, who found victory in Christ, even with terminal cancer, I learn so much about life and matured in my faith. Bill demonstrated the Christian walk and I grew in my love for God. I have learned to cherish life and the relationships that God has given me.

Cancer has touched each and every one of us, directly or indirectly. This month America promote cancer awareness and prevention. Let's know the enemy, live healthy and help find a cure. 3 John vs. 2 "Dear friend, I pray that you may enjoy good health and that all may go well with you, even as your soul is getting along well."

In Christ, Brian

No comments: