Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The Proof is in the Pudding


1Corinthians 13:1-8 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing. Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails.


A young college student told me the other day, that a woman wants to know that the men important in her life (boyfriend, husband, father, etc.) think about them when they are apart. That she is in their heart and crosses their mind because they love her. I thought about how a man could accomplish that proof and verification to the woman's expectations and satisfaction, because the word "think" takes on the definition of the woman's desire of how often she wants to be thought about and how she wants to be thought of. The statement shouts the question: "Do you love me?" It implies the caring mindful remembrance, a loving desire, a choice made from the heart, and a devoted will of the man for her; but does he desire her for the "right" reasons? Not only “do you love me?”, but “why do you love me?” also. This is true in all relationships.

There are three types of love that the Bible explains: (1) Love that only takes: "I love you as long as you meet my needs and desires” or “What’s in it for me?”, (2) Give & Take Love - "I love you and you love me”, meeting each others needs – mutual brotherly love, & (3) Love that gives totally – “I love you and expect nothing in return or no stings attached - unconditional love. Obviously, when this young lady spoke of the woman's desire to know that she is thought about, she meant in terms of the third definition - "true" unconditional love ... “agape”: the deepest love there is that never fails. Does the world understand this? Do people really know how to love? How about us? Do you & I ”think” of those closest in our lives and show them that we really love and care about them, or does our lack of time and contact with them demonstrate a different message ... that we do not think about them as we should, take them for granted, take the relationship lightly, or that other things are more important than them to us. Does this not pertain to our relationship with Christ also? John 14:23-24: "Jesus replied, "If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. He who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me." Actions speak louder than words, and our lives bear witness to our pure love.

The focus on self-interests, selfish desires, self-fulfillment, self-pleasure, selfish ambitions, and selfish pursuits produces a focus on self-centered disrespect to others and God, who is their Maker. Could you imagine Jesus, who out of love took our place on that cross to pay the penalty for our sins, thinking this way or approving of those who do? Never! Matthew 22:37-39 Jesus replied: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself'." Just as the woman is hurt when she isn't shown that the men important in her life "think" (love & care) about her, the same message is true in all the important relationships of her life (Men, Women, Children & God). We all want to know that we are loved; not for how we look, our possessions, our position, or for what we can do, but for whom we are inside. I’ve read that in children: If you don't tell them, "I love you", then they conclude that you must not love them." Are teens and adults any different? We all need to love and be loved. It translates to "time" by a genuine heart as the evidence ... action to the words.

People throw around the word “love” so loosely today and many don't really know what "true" love is. What do people "really & truly" love and in what order of priority? Who do people really love and why? You can tell much about a person’s loves from where they spend their free time. There is an old saying that goes: "The proof is in the pudding", which means even though others may tell you that the pudding is good; the only way to know for sure is to taste it. In the same way, the only way to know if someone truly loves you is if they are loving you (demonstrating their love to you) – action is required and that involves investing and spending time (dedication, devotion & desire). Likewise, the proof of love for the Lord is the obeying of His teachings and commands. Where does God and "Loved-Ones" fall on our list?

People say: “I love you”, but talk is cheap! How do they "walk the talk" and demonstrate that love to you ... not only by thinking about you, which is time that you do not see, but by living out their love for you in & out of your sight perpetually, so that you may know in your heart that you are loved because the proof is in the pudding.

John 15:9-14 "As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command.” Not just "What would Jesus do?", but "What did Jesus do?".

With love always, in the love of Christ,
Brian

No comments: