Saturday, June 20, 2009

The Love of the Father

Psalm 103:13-14 “As a father has compassion on his children, so the Lord has compassion on those who fear (respect and revere) him; for he knows how we are formed, he remembers that we are dust.”

Father’s Day is a day set aside to honor the man that made it his life to love, care for, encourage, support, guide, counsel, teach and impart faith & knowledge to their children, for our best interest, for life and living in this world, that we improve & grow to be good kids, good students, good workers, good neighbors, faithful to God and good parents. All unconditionally, because it is the duty of every Father to give to their children these things, as God (our Creator & Heaven Father) has given. When right (not self-centered & worldly) and as it should be (self-giving & godly), our Earthly Father is a symbol of our Heavenly Father.

1Thessalonians 2:11-13 “For you know that we dealt with each of you as a father deals with his own children, encouraging, comforting and urging you to live lives worthy of God, who calls you into his kingdom and glory. And we also thank God continually because, when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men, but as it actually is, the word of God, which is at work in you who believe.”
My dad worked hard to provide a balanced home for my mom and two brothers. He took seriously his role to put a roof over our heads, clothes on our backs, and put food on the table each and every night, but went much further than that. He made the time to spend with us, individually, to parent us and father us, so that we may have direction, discipline where needed, and purpose, all completely out of his love for his family. He taught me to respect others, to know the difference between “right” & “wrong” then choose to do what is “right”. He taught me to take care of myself and how to do it ... still does. He taught me a work ethic that I was to put in a full days work and do the very best job that I could do for my employer, but to let the door hit me on the rear when it was time to go home, because there was a family waiting back home that needed my care, time and attention. As a little boy, he taught me how to throw a baseball, catch a football, shoot a basketball and have fun doing it. He made every game that I played, that he could, and that meant so much to me. When I played Tight End in Football, we had a special sign that I would make when we left the huddle to let him know that I was going to receive the Pass on that Play. Our secret! He taught me to Water Ski and took me fishing, but also to enjoy the beauty of God’s Creation and stop to take it all in. Our family took the greatest “Road Trip” vacations and found comfort & joy in family. His concerns for faith and country are inspirational. Later, dad taught me how to swing a hammer, plumbing and electrical work, pour concrete, and on & on. He was my example to follow, and my wife can attest to that. I talk to dad (now 81 years young) every week and I could never repay the debt that I owe him, so I pay it forward. So today I honor my dad, Robert Eugene Todd – Best Father in the World. I hope that you say the same about your dad and, this Father's Day, let him know how you feel about the man that gave his all for you and your family. Thanks dad. I love you!

Heavenly Father, Thank you for the gift of a wonderful and godly Father. Amen.

Hebrews 12: 5-11 "My son, do not make light of the Lord's discipline, and do not lose heart when he rebukes you, because the Lord disciplines those he loves, and he punishes everyone he accepts as a son." Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as sons. For what son is not disciplined by his father? If you are not disciplined (and everyone undergoes discipline), then you are illegitimate children and not true sons. Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of our spirits and live! Our fathers disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in his holiness. No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.”

1John3:1-3 “How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him. 2 Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when he appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is. 3 Everyone who has this hope in him purifies himself, just as he is pure.”
Happy Father’s Day!
Brian

2 comments:

NikonSniper said...

what a great dad you had/have. there are many similarities in our lives. my dad was a pastor / teacher at moody bible institute. taught me many of those same things in the time he had with us, three sons.
funny ... i had a son that was an all-area tight end in illinois that went on to play college football. in his high school years, when they called one of his primary target plays, he would walk out of the huddle adjust his face mask. no one ever caught on.
great story. so what was yer sign?
maybe it should stay a secret.
also ... you may never know in this life ... the number of traveling salesmen that may happen upon your website to read a devotional thought. just know ... i was one. thanks.
nikonsniper steve

Brian Ray Todd said...

Thanks Steve for the comments. I too am one son of three. Our sign was much more obvious, but still nobody ever picked it up. While walking out of the huddle I'd touch the top of my helmet. Dad still lives up at Bass Lake, California just below Yosemite National Park. He was a Telephone man and so am I. How awesome that your dad was a Pastor /teacher at Moody! What great lessons our dad's taught us. We carry them with us on our walk with the Lord ... and once and a while, we look back, remember, and smile. Keep the shuttler snapping my friend. Blessings, Brian