Wednesday, May 27, 2009

One Way Ticket


Isaiah 12:2 Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid. The Lord, the Lord, is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation."

What is salvation? “Yasha”, the word salvation in Hebrew means deliverance / rescue. Webster’s dictionary defines salvation as “the act of saving; state of being saved; deliverance of the soul from sin and death. But how do we receive salvation – deliverance of our soul from sin & death? I heard it explained this way:

It’s not a creed. You say, “Well, I believe the plan of salvation.” You can believe the plan of salvation and go straight to hell. You’re not saved by the plan of salvation; you’re saved by the Man of salvation. Salvation is not a creed. It’s not a code, magic words or secret passwords. You say, “Well, I believe if you live right, you’ll go to heaven.” If you could be saved by living right, then Calvary was a blunder and Christ died for nothing. It’s not a cause. You say, “I’m a member of a good fundamental, Bible-believing church.” It’s not any of these things. It’s Christ. Salvation is not believing something; it is receiving Someone. The true gospel is one that centers in Jesus Christ; our Lord and Savior.

Acts 4:12Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved." We receive the gift of salvation by faith and is the right key to eternal life and heaven. When I took a course in Evangelism years ago, they explained that many misunderstand and believe in Jesus Christ the same way they believe in Napoleon or George Washington. They believe He actually lived. He was a real person in history, but they are not trusting Him to do anything for them now. It is not an intellectual assent or head knowledge that the Bible means by saving faith.

Many turn to the Lord in prayer, in times of trouble, uncertainty, fear & pain to bring them through them safely, putting their trust in Him. Now, all of these prayers are great and we should trust in the Lord for all our worries and cares. But there is one element that all these things have in common. They are all temporal matters. They are things of this life, things of this world that shall pass away. “Saving” faith is trusting Christ alone to save you … eternally. That is salvation. Trust and believe; follow and obey the King of King & Lord of Lord’s, living in the joy of your salvation!

John 1:914 “The true light that gives light to every man was coming into the world. He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him. He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him. Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God-- children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband's will, but born of God. The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.”

Psalms 18:2 “The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.”

Psalms 27:1 “The Lord is my light and my salvation-- whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life-- of whom shall I be afraid?”

In Christ, Brian

No comments: