Thursday, March 26, 2009

Joy to the World


A colleague (a former Pastor) stopped by this morning to discuss with me the Christian view on a specific issue and topic in his Bible Study, and asked about the river rocks on my desk with the word "JOY" cut into them. I gave him a copy of my message on "JOY" that I wrote a couple years ago, and decided that I'd post that message on the Blog site also, since I've been so occupied with the Little League obligations lately. Some have read it but many have not, so I pray that this message either is fresh or refreshes you today.
Have you ever seen those polished rocks that they sell now-a-days that have words carved into them? Patty and I both love them because of both their beauty and the meaning of the word or words engraved on them. My favorite has always been the word "JOY". I remember hearing that the acrostic from Joy is Jesus, Others, You, but that is not the reason that it is my favorite. Christian Joy has always been a spiritual experience for me. There is joy that we can receive from people, places and things of this world or when life is going well, but how do we have joy when things in life are not going so well? This goes much deeper. It does not involve focusing on "good" thoughts and things" or pretending that nothing is wrong. That is not reality and the Lord doesn't want me to live in Fantasyland, but He does want Joy and Happiness in your & my life despite the darkness in the world. I think of the scripture of Philippians 4:4-9 “Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me--put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.”
Living "In Christ" by the power of the Holy Spirit produces the "Fruit of the Spirit" (which includes joy - Galatians 5:22) in us spiritually - the joy of Christ, which transcends all understanding. John 15:7-11 connects it together for me – “If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples. "As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.” Last Sunday, the Pastor of my dad's church preached a message on Nehemiah Chapter 8 that gave me a clearer vision of the Christian prospective of experiencing joy in spite of this sinful or destitute world that can bring our spirits down. Nehemiah 8:8-10 – “They read from the Book of the Law of God, making it clear and giving the meaning so that the people could understand what was being read. Then Nehemiah the governor, Ezra the priest and scribe, and the Levites who were instructing the people said to them all, "This day is sacred to the LORD your God. Do not mourn or weep." For all the people had been weeping as they listened to the words of the Law. Nehemiah said, "Go and enjoy choice food and sweet drinks, and send some to those who have nothing prepared. This day is sacred to our Lord. Do not grieve, for the joy of the LORD is your strength."
But the key component of spiritual joy is based upon our redemptive salvation by the mercy and grace of almighty God through His Son (our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ) that provides our "eternal prospective" and "blessed assurance". Psalm 51:1-13 says it well: “Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy loving-kindness: According to the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions. Wash me thoroughly from mine iniquity, And cleanse me from my sin. For I know my transgressions; And my sin is ever before me. Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, And done that which is evil in thy sight; That thou mayest be justified when thou speakest, And be clear when thou judgest. Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity; And in sin did my mother conceive me. Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts; And in the hidden part thou wilt make me to know wisdom. Purify me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. Make me to hear joy and gladness, That the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice. Hide thy face from my sins, And blot out all mine iniquities. Create in me a clean heart, O God; And renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from thy presence; And take not thy holy Spirit from me. Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; And uphold me with a willing spirit. Then will I teach transgressors thy ways; And sinners shall be converted unto thee. How could this not produce joy?!
Joy is not based upon the people, places, things and circumstances but in our intimate relationship our Lord & God. 1John 2;15-17 guides us: “Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world--the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life--is not of the Father but is of the world. And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever.
Matthew 22:36-40 gets to the bottom line: "Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."
Back to that acrostic: First, "J" is for "Jesus" = Love our Lord & Savior; our King & our God. Second, "O" is for Others = Love your neighbor (minister & witness the love of the Gospel). Thirdly, "Y" is for "You" = Child of God take care of yourself and grow in grace. Joy is Jesus, Others, then You, with this formula, we will have true Joy.
My favorite rocks have "Joy" on them. God is Love & Jesus is Joy! Praise and honor and glory to God our Father and our Lord Jesus Christ! Joyful means "full of joy" and I pray that your life is joyful always.
May God bless you richly!
Brian

No comments: