Saturday, March 14, 2009

The Gift of a Goddaughter

1Corinthians 13:1-13 If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing. Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
Ten Years ago, my wife and I stood up together with our wonderful little Goddaughter, as she committed her herself and her life to her Lord and Savior Jesus Christ in her Baptism ceremony in front of the congregation of our church. Moments before the service, Tiffanie and I prayed a special covenant prayer that I wrote for her: “Jesus come into my heart and forgive my sins. Be my Lord and I will follow you all the days of my life. I accept the free gift of eternal life with you in Heaven and the Holy Spirit within me, to guide me, today. I will love you, obey you, serve you, trust you and praise you always. Amen.” I wish that I could share with you the feelings of love, joy and thanksgivings to be a part of this moment of Salvation and life commitment of this precious young lady – a Child of God. But she was not the only one making a commitment that gorgeous day. I committed myself, making a promise to God, to be the best Godfather that I could be, and a godly influence always, with His guidance and help. The relationship has been a source of spiritual joy and happiness that has touched my soul ever since, as I’ve watched this little Christian girl grow and mature into a beautiful holy young woman, who loves the Lord, her God. Her favorite verse comes from her favorite chapter of the Bible (1Corinthians 13), which I opened this message. The name Tiffanie literally means “Gift from God”, and every minute of the last ten years has truly been a Devine gift. So on this day, I take time to stop and give thanks for Tiffanie Ann in my life, and praise the Lord for the honor and privilege of being a Godparent to such an amazing girl. Glory be to God!

Brian

No comments: