Saturday, March 14, 2009

The Garden of Prayer

Certainly, an essential component in a personal relationship with Jesus Christ is the Christian’s time in communion with the Lord in Prayer. I find myself in prayer in any time or situation during the day or night, as talking with God is natural and unhindered when walking with God. Do I pray as much as I should? No. Do I pray every time that I need to? No, but I’m improving and the time spent in prayer is comforting and reassuring, to say the least. A scheduled time, set aside for prayer, devoted to you and God brings peace to the soul. We need to find quiet places to spend time in relationship with our Lord, to focus on how big God is; not how big our problems are; time to find contentment, to learn from Him, even to be tried and tested, and to grow, being transformed into the image of Christ.
I’ve always loved the old Christian Hymn “In The Garden” because of the visual image I experience of devotion time in Prayer with the Lord. Here is the first verse of this great beloved song of the church.
I come to the garden alone while the dew is still on the roses, And the voice I hear falling on my ear the Son of God discloses.
Chorus: And He walks with me and He talks with me, And He tells me I am His own, And the joy we share as we tarry there None other has ever known.
Jesus gave us the “model” prayer, which gives us the elements of praying, in “The Lord’s Prayer”. Matthew 6:6b-13: When thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly. But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him. After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen. KJV
The elements of Prayer:
Adoration – Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Praise God and adore His Holy name, with His glory foremost for His indescribable and never ending love to us!
Submission – Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. Rule in our life by thy will and thy kingdom; not my will.
Supplication – Give us this day our daily bread. Meet our needs and the needs of others (intercessory petition for loved ones and fellow man).
Confession – And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. Repentance that leads to forgiving and forgiveness. Pray for God to: Slay me – Mortify my flesh – Put to death my indwelling sin. Cleanse me – with the blood of Jesus – what can take away our sin? Fill me – Holy Spirit equip & enable me to serve the Lord. Lead me – Where to go & what to do to accomplish His work for me, while walking in the Spirit.
Protection – And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil – build a hedge of protection around and keep me in Your Almighty hand.
Celebration - For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Rejoice for the Heavens and the Earth are under His authority and glory!
We need to be Christ-like in our life and in our prayers. It is an essential component of the “Abundant” Life! May His Holy name ever be praised! Joy and blessings in Christ!
Brian

No comments: