Saturday, February 28, 2009

The Trilogy of Needs?

Matthew 6:33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

When people don’t meet my perceived needs, it humbles me and actually focuses me on the reality that I’m looking in the wrong places to get my needs met, and drives me to depend on Christ as my source and strength. It is a Divine transformation; not mere substitution. It is God that transforms our heart and gives us the ability and capacity to love and be loved, as He desired for you and for me. I tend to focus on myself ... I think that we all do to some extent. God created us (in a trilogy of body, mind and soul) with physical needs, social needs and spiritual needs. But I tend to gravitate to the first two too easily and neglect the latter, which is my (and everyone’s) true source of fulfillment. How so? The Bible gives us the answer in Matthew 6:33: “But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well”. This verse doesn't neglect any of our other needs, just puts things in the right sequential order, because that's where we tend to get things (like needs being met) in life out of balance. Because of our physical needs and social needs, we expect to be satisfying those needs through others. Fair or not, we depend on certain people to meet those needs. How do you feel when they fail to meet your expectation of meeting your needs and desires? Why? When they don't return or reciprocate your love and care, does it mean that they then don't care about your physical and social needs? Does it give a foothold for doubt? What is the message given? Is the relationship on the rocks? Who can you depend on? What is the answer?

Psychology (the study of the soul) falls short, when it neglects the "spiritual" needs as the foundational element, and focuses on the physical and social needs only. Jesus explains this in Luke 6:46-49 "Why do you call me, 'Lord, Lord,' and do not do what I say? I will show you what he is like who comes to me and hears my words and puts them into practice. He is like a man building a house, who dug down deep and laid the foundation on rock. When a flood came, the torrent struck that house but could not shake it, because it was well built. But the one who hears my words and does not put them into practice is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. The moment the torrent struck that house, it collapsed and its destruction was complete." How much does God love me? What did God do for me in the past, what He is doing for me now, and what has He promised to do for me always? When I honestly think about that first, it puts the rest of my needs and desires into the right prospective. My spiritual needs are meet first and my focus is on who I am in Christ. I love God, I depend on God: God is dependable. God meets my spiritual needs, and by what He provides in my life ... the people, places, and things that can ultimately meet our physical & social needs. He is the One, by His Providence, that I can depend on to meet all my needs, which provides me meaning, purpose, balance, fulfillment, love, joy, hope and peace. You can too. I love people, but I can't always depend on people to meet my trilogy of needs. People don't always meet my (realistic & unrealistic) expectations and I sometimes get my feelings hurt. But what is God teaching me? I love my life ... but it's not just about me. What is our purpose? We all need to get our own house cleaned up first, and get our priorities straight. We need conformity with the name of Christ, our Lord and Savior, by His Word, and in His nature & character. God made us for relationships – spiritually (soul), mentally (mind), & physically (body). May your relationships meet all yours needs, in the Will of God.
Brian

No comments: